


Well, it turns out that surgery on your child isn't all that much fun. We got up early this morning to head to our 6:30 check-in at the hospital. Ali was in good spirits the entire time, and played with her stuffed animals. At about 8:30 they took her back for the surgery. At about 10:20 Nancy was getting pretty anxious, so I went back to try to get an update. The nurse called into the room, and the doctor was "closing." It took another 30 minutes before he came out for the report.
The doctor said that the node on the underside of the jaw was much deeper than he had expected, and he had to dig it out clear to the bone. The other node by her ear seemed to be more superficial, so he didn't dig very deep and risk encountering the nerve. The skin was actually more damaged and infected than he had originally thought, and much of it tore away during surgery. The wounds look pretty rough.
The scene in the recovery room was a little overwhelming for both of us, as we have never had to deal with either child in such a pitiful condition. Her face and ear were a little bloody, and her face seemed to be swollen. About an hour later I figured out that much of the swelling was actually a bunch of gauze she still had in her mouth. She laid on the bed pretty sedated for quite a while with only a few whimpers when the nurse took off the tape stuck to her body. They then wheeled her to another room for full recovery over the next hour or so. We finally left the hospital around 1:00.
We are hopeful that this will be the last round for the "bumps." We are all anxious for life to get back to normal.



This is just a little video from a few hours after the surgery. She has proved to be surprisingly resilient and is really back to her self.
7 comments:
The poor little thing. I truly hope this is the last the bumps for you and her. It is so hard to see your kids suffering. I too would be super anxious. I am glad she is home.
So glad this is over for you guys and for her. I am sure she was probably tired of having her face gawked at by doctors and family.
She looks so darn cute in the pictures of her sleeping and the before pictures are adorable!
Wow, what an ordeal this has been for your family. I am so glad that it seems to be towards the end for her with those bumps.
Despite just having a surgery and a little swelling, that last picture she looks beautiful! We will continue to pray for your family!
That is so hard ot go through things with your little ones. How your heart just breaks for her. I hope this is the last that you guys have to face. I will keep your family in my prayers. Take Care
I'm glad the surgery went well and that you can get back to doing the stuff you like to do.
Hey Nancy, It looks like you guys have gone through a lot. I hope things get better from now on. Come and see our blog. Heather Zaby
What a little trouper!!! How scary this must have been for you and your family! It is so amazing how fast kids can bounce back from painful experiences and move on as if nothing happened. She is such a little doll!!
Post a Comment